Vegan Fare at The Blue Heron
Delicious and nourishing vegan options are available for every meal at The Blue Heron Restaurant.
Sample Vegan Breakfast Options
- Breakfast Tacos: Ojo greens and veggies, potato, tomato, green chile
- Sunrise Porridge: Oats, quinoa, coconut milk, fruits, nuts
Sample Vegan Lunch and Dinner Main Course Options
- Three Sisters Tamale: Calabacitas, pinto bean ragout, Chimayo red chile
- Butternut Squash Stew: Curried winter squash, white beans, Ojo spinach
- The Vegan Green Chile Cheeseburger
Chef’s Three-Course Vegan Tasting Menu
A scrumptious and farm-fresh three-course vegan tasting menu is available at The Blue Heron for $25.
Sample Tasting Menu
- First Course: Roasted Beets, Candy Cane Radishes and Avocado Emulsion
- Second Course: Forbidden Black Rice Green Curried Vegetables and Crispy Garbanzo Beans
- Third Course: T.J.’s Chocolate Cake with Almond Gelato
Reservations recommended. Please call 877.977.8212 or book online via Open Table.
A Quick Q & A with Chef Rocky Durham
Q: How long have you been creating vegan dishes?
Q: What’s your philosophy when it comes to creating vegan dishes?
A: I’m not attempting to make vegetables present like meat. I design the offerings to celebrate amazing flavors, colors and textures of plant-based food.
Q: What’s most important to you when creating a vegan dish?
A: Like all menus I write, it is important that everything on the plate is purposeful and deliberate. I avoid superfluous garnishes and unnecessary components
Q: Do you incorporate local flavors into your vegan dishes?
A: I always look to my community first when sourcing ingredients.
Q: What are your favorite aspects of vegan cuisine?
A: Everyone can eat vegan food! Many perceive vegan cuisine to be an exercise in “doing without.” I do not. Not with my vegan offerings! We have 12 to 14 vegan dishes on our regular menu at all times. These change seasonally and with the availability of great ingredients. The dynamic nature of the menu means there will be something new and delicious every time.
Chef Rocky Durham’s Carrot Ginger Bisque
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
2 T. fresh ginger, grated
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 cups veg stock
1 can coconut milk (full fat)
½ cup olive oil
Salt, pepper, agave and lemon juice to taste
- Place carrots, ginger and onion into a heavy bottomed soup pot and cover with veg stock.
- Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree in a blender with coconut milk and olive oil in each batch.
- Puree on high for at least 30 seconds per batch
- Season with salt, pepper, agave and lemon juice (make small adjustments and taste as you go. It’s easy to add a little more!)
- Reheat and serve!